1950s Cuba LIFE Magazine coverage on Google Books
Google announced this week that LIFE Magazine is now available on Google Books. Google Books has partnered with Life Inc. to digitize LIFE Magazine's entire run as a weekly: over 1,860 issues, covering the years from 1936 to 1972. Readers of this blog and others interested in Cuba history 1952-1959 will find this a useful resource, particularly for photographs of the period.
|Fidel Castro on LIFE Cover, Havana, Cuba. January 1959 (photo: Andrew St. George/LIFE)||Damages caused by DR attack on CMQ Radio Reloj, Havana, Cuba. March 1957 (photo: Grey Villet/LIFE)|
These new capabilities build on Google work to publish the LIFE magazine photo archives on the web mentioned in earlier post. Visit Google Books to browse through all available issues of LIFE. Check out the new Thumbnail View to see the layout of all the pages in the magazine.
Links below retrieve 1950’s Cuba LIFE articles of special interest to Cuba 1952-1959 history.
- Ingredients of a revolution (LIFE Mar 24, 1952: Batista Coup)
- Wanted: a mandate (LIFE Aug 9, 1954: 1954 Elections)
- Eleventh body in a mystery (LIFE May 21, 1956: Goicuria garrison Matanzas attack)
- Revolt fails but defiance lives on in Cuba (LIFE Mar 25, 1957: Presidential Palace Attack)
- In man’s War US Boys Quit (LIFE May 27, 1957 p43: Taber Sierra Rebels photos)
- Castro on eve of his big bid (LIFE Apr 14, 1958: Castro preparing for “Total War”)
- [Batista’s] Violent show's smooth front (LIFE Apr 21, 1958: Total War aftermath)
- Exclusive Report: The Captives in Cuba (LIFE Jul 14, 1958: Raul Castro hostages)
- Inside Rebel Cuba with Raul Castro (LIFE Jul 21, 1958: US Hostage negotiations)
- [Castro’s] Liberator’s Triumphal March (LIFE Jan 19, 1959: Entrance to Havana)
- The Killing in Cuba and a moral issue (LIFE Jan 26, 1959: Castros defend executions)
- Hate holds court in Cuba (LIFE Feb 2, 1959: Revolutionary trials)
- At ringside when Cuba clobbered democracy (LIFE Jul 27, 1959: Urrutia ouster)
The announcement from Google Boksearch has some directions and search tips.
Related Cuba 1952-1959 posts: